db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Using embedded derby with JRuby and Rails
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:55:05 GMT
In terms of how you change your application, in general all you should
need to do is change the URL to be "jdbc:derby:dbname" from
"jdbc:derby:/server:port/dbname"

However, when you embed a database, the database is created based at
the location given by the Java system property  "derby.system.home"
or, if that's not present, the value of the Java system property
"user.dir".  What this usually means is that when your application
starts up, you need to take care of initializing the database if it
doesn't exist.  That includes creating the tables and loading initial
data.

You could do this by running some JDBC that does this, or you can
include in your application jar a copy of the database directory, and
extract this into the proper location when the application starts up.

David