db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Steen Jakobsen" <...@logodata.dk>
Subject updatable selects
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:00:29 GMT
I haven't had any luck finding anything looking through the maillist ...
( or as newbe I don't know how to seek.-)

I need ( well I chose) to use updatable selects in a
java-(netbeans)-project

(And I might just have a misconception of what they really are and
should be used... -))

All I get from derby is resultsets that are read_only when I ask for
concurrent updatable....

(Using server version)

Request:  (aprox and paraphrased from derby documentation ... )

Statement

stmt = con.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,
ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE);

con.autocommit(false);

Stmt.executeQuery("Select * from \"table\"  for update of \"row\" ");

Documentation of updatable selects are quite "dark" about when the
resultset is returned as updatable and specially when "not" returned as
updatable.

Standard stmt.execute("update \"table\" set xxx = yyy where zzz ) is
working just fine... but I insist on the usability of the consept of
updatable selects ... just don't understand why they don't work with
java using derby.

Anybody with a lucky helping hand ??  And please don't tell me that I
should not use updatable select ... or not use "javadb" or use a newer
version ... I'll be very sorry.-)

Greating

 erik

-----