db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Restricting number of connections from a single user
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:36:07 GMT
Jørgen Løland wrote:
> A client/server Derby will soon be used in a university course to
> teach students SQL etc.
>
> Previous experience has revealed that students who are not familiar
> with Java programming and JDBC/DBs tend to open a new connection for
> every Statement. There will be peaks with a few hundred concurrent
> users. Is there any way of restricting the number of connections a
> user can open in Derby? I want the faulty student applications to get
> exceptions rather than ruining the user experience for the "nice" users.

Why do they need a client-server setup, at least to start out with? I
would think that the course could start out with every student running
embedded against their own Derby database on their own laptop. Embedded
usage seems to me to be one of the great appeals of using Derby in the
classroom: it insulates students from all sorts of other mistakes that
other beginners may be making and it lets the students take their
homework off-campus and off-network. I would be tempted to introduce
client/server later on in the course after the students have learned
enough to be cautious about mistakes like opening too many connections

Just my $0.02.

-Rick