db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Network protocol error in prepareStatement()
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 01:18:38 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm getting this unusual exception during prepareStatement():
>
> Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException: A network protocol error was
encountered and the connection has been terminated: the requested command encountered an unarchitected
and implementation-specific condition for which there was no architected message
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnectionReply.parseCMDCHKRM(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePrepareError(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePRPSQLSTTreply(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.StatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatement.readPrepareDescribeOutput_(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.am.PreparedStatement.readPrepareDescribeInputOutput(Unknown
Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.am.PreparedStatement.flowPrepareDescribeInputOutput(Unknown
Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.am.PreparedStatement.prepare(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.prepareStatementX(Unknown Source)
>
> The connection is from the host to itself so network issues should hopefully
> be out of the picture.  Any idea what causes this error?  The derby log is completely
> empty this time (no error messages, no success messages either.)

The call stack indicates that the server has sent and CMDCHKRM command
which I should a reply indicating that the client, as part of the
prepare message, sent something it was not able to understand.  I looked
at the Network Server code, and I could not find that it would
necessarily write something if an error happens during prepare,
regardless of what debug flags you might turn on.  Hence, I think the
best bet is to turn on tracing on the client and/or serve to see if we
can see something wrong with the message being sent.

--
Øystein