db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DerbyDB quality
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:16:44 GMT
Kurt Huwig wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. November 2007 schrieb John Embretsen:
>> G M Abdul Salam wrote:
>>> 1. how good is DerbyDB when it comes for storing 1 - 2 million
>>> records in a table
>> Should not be problematic. In a large data volume test that was run
>> against the 10.3.1.4 release, there were three tables with ~300
>> million, ~232 million and ~8 million tuples, respectively (no issues
>> seen). For details, see
>> http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/10.3.1.4_RC/AdditionalTests.html
>
> Several users - including me - are having problems with tables
> containing a lot of records and concurrent INSERT and SELECT statements
> which result in deadlocks. There is a issue filed including a
> reproducing example which deadlocks Derby within a few seconds:

This is a concurrency issue that you may run into in some use cases, but it is
not an issue related to (caused by) having millions of tuples in a table.

> Unfortunaltely, there is no progress since August.

Yes, that is unfortunate. So far no one with the required expertise (or the
effort needed to become an expert in this area) has volunteered to work on this
issue.

--
John