db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DerbyDB quality
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:15:55 GMT
G M Abdul Salam wrote:
> sir,
>
> I am in a big dilemma at the moment to decide whether to go for Derby DB
> or PostgreSQL. Can you please kindly help me in answering my below query:
>
> 1. how good is DerbyDB when it comes for storing 1 - 2 million records
> in a table

Should not be problematic. In a large data volume test that was run against the
10.3.1.4 release, there were three tables with ~300 million, ~232 million and ~8
million tuples, respectively (no issues seen). For details, see
http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/10.3.1.4_RC/AdditionalTests.html

> 2. how good is it to handle multilingual content (Arabic and French)

Derby is Java and can store any Unicode character. Depending on your intended
meaning of the word "handle", I'm sure the experts will be happy to answer any
further questions...

> 3. how good it is with performance side for Java Web Application

I have not heard of any performance problems in this area. Of course, it depends
on your needs and usage patterns. (For example, using Prepared Statements is
usually recommended for performance reasons.)

Some results from a performance regression test against Derby is available here:
http://home.online.no/~olmsan/derby/perf/ - but that might not be what you are
looking for. I'll let others chime in on this if they have anything to share...

Feel free to ask further questions on the list - and we will be happy to know if
Derby works out for you or not!

--
John