db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kurt Huwig <k.hu...@iku-ag.de>
Subject Re: DerbyDB quality
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:38:30 GMT
Am Montag, 12. November 2007 schrieb John Embretsen:
> G M Abdul Salam wrote:
> > sir,
> >
> > I am in a big dilemma at the moment to decide whether to go for
> > Derby DB or PostgreSQL. Can you please kindly help me in answering
> > my below query:
> >
> > 1. how good is DerbyDB when it comes for storing 1 - 2 million
> > records in a table
>
> Should not be problematic. In a large data volume test that was run
> against the 10.3.1.4 release, there were three tables with ~300
> million, ~232 million and ~8 million tuples, respectively (no issues
> seen). For details, see
> http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/10.3.1.4_RC/AdditionalTests.html

Several users - including me - are having problems with tables
containing a lot of records and concurrent INSERT and SELECT statements
which result in deadlocks. There is a issue filed including a
reproducing example which deadlocks Derby within a few seconds:

Unfortunaltely, there is no progress since August.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Kurt Huwig (Vorstand)
Telefon 0681/96751-50, Telefax 0681/96751-66
http://www.iku-ag.de/

iKu Systemhaus AG, Am Römerkastell 4, 66121 Saarbrücken
Amtsgericht: Saarbrücken, HRB 13240
Vorstand: Kurt Huwig, Andreas Niederländer
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Jan Bankstahl

GnuPG 1024D/99DD9468 64B1 0C5B 82BC E16E 8940  EB6D 4C32 F908 99DD 9468