db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Williamson, Nick" <nick_william...@mentor.com>
Subject Writing to BLOBs
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:41:39 GMT
Hi all,

In Oracle, when you want to update a BLOB, you have to do this first:

set my_blob_column=empty_blob();

...which initializes it and opens it up for writing. Oracle has a
concept of a "locator", which I guess is similar to a pointer or handle
to the BLOB object, and it is required in order to start streaming data
to it. Just setting my_blob_column=null doesn't do the same thing.

Anyway, I'm trying to port this currently-Oracle app to Derby and of
course Derby doesn't like the reference to empty_blob(). Can someone put
me in the picture regarding the way in which you initialize BLOBs for
update in Derby, maybe posting a code sample or a link to the relevant
docs? I've had a quick scan through the docs and Google without much
success...

TIA
Nick