db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dion McMurtrie <dion.mcmurt...@nehta.gov.au>
Subject derby performance on java 6 for linux
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:58:21 GMT
I've experienced a recent serious (factor of 6 or more) performance
degradation using derby 10.3.1.4 after upgrading to Java 6 (update 3) -
i.e. it was 6 times faster using Java 5 than Java 6.

The results running my process on Windows using Java 5 or Java 6 are
similar to the result using Java 5 on Linux, however Java 6 is many
times slower. I've tried this on a number of Linux machines with the
same results - FC7, SUSE 10.1, CentOS 4

The process I am running is essentially running
    org.apache.derby.tools.ij.runScript(java.sql.Connection,
java.io.InputStream, java.lang.String, java.io.OutputStream,
java.lang.String)

a number of times with different SQL scripts. Each invocation of this
method takes significantly longer on Linux with Java 6.

Is anyone aware of this issue? Is there a resolution?

Thanks,
Dion.