The current plug-in always includes libraries from the default plug-ins directory, so custom extension directories will not work.  There is a patch that fixes this problem here - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1931.  It uses a classpath container instead of the ECLIPSE_HOME variable.  The classpath container adds the JARs from wherever they are installed, instead of assuming that they are installed in the default plug-ins directory.   Please vote for this issue.