Well, this sounds nasty.

In NetBeans 6, I did the following with an embedded connection (sorry, I'm not such a master with screen shots):

- Connected to the TRAVEL database, with the TRAVEL schema
- Executed 'CREATE SCHEMA foo;'
- Disconnected
- Clicked Connect and got the dialog, then chose Advanced, and then pressed [Get Schemas], and 'FOO' was on the list of available schemas

So it works in NetBeans 6

Now, in NetBeans 5.5.1, I did the same thing, and it worked for me.

So, we can conclude a couple of things:

- You are connected to a different database, even though you think it's the same one.  Wait, I think that may be possible . You seem to be using a different tool to create your schema and tables.  And when you  use an embedded connection to Derby, is your URL a full path to the database name, or a relative path?  If it's a relative path, then the database is created in the directory where your tool was started, which will likely be *different* from where NetBeans was started.  When NetBeans is connecting to the database with the same name, it may actually be a different physical file on the system, and thus the tables don't show up.

Try making sure your JDBC URL is a *full path* to a database location, e.g. "jdbc:derby:/this/is/the/path/to/my/db/mydb;create=true" or "jdbc:derby:c:/path/to/my/db/mydb;create=true" (note you use forward slashes even for Windows).

- You didn't create the schema (I find that hard to believe)
- You didn't create the tables (ditto)
- You have a different version of NB than I do, one that is broken

I think item 1 is likely the possible choice.

Did you know that you can execute SQL directly in NB?  So if you have SQL scripts, you can do the following:

-> Connect to your DB
-> Right click and choose "Execute Command..."
-> In the command window, right click and choose "Select in->Files".  This gives you a file browser. Browse to your SQL file, select it, and it's dropped into the command window
-> Punch the green arrow to execute the file

This way  you don't have the potential of working with two databases when you think you have one.

David