db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Secure Delete
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:07:21 GMT
Ruben Misrahi <rnmisrahi@gmail.com> writes:

> We want to get "security-certified" and we need to know if deleting a record
> in Derby actually eliminates or physically overrides that space

Yes, AFAIK.

> and/or if there is a way to do that.

> And more specifically, if I have a 200 byte field and I override it with a 2
> character field. Can some still get the data that was there?

Maybe some of it, but not through Derby.

> We're willing to pay for an answer. Please email to:

No need to pay for this answer :)

(You can, however, purchase support for Java DB from Sun, see
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/support/)

In general DBMSs strive to achieve the oposite of what you're
seeking. That is; when a transaction doing a delete commits, that record is
gone, even if the DBMS crashes before the delete has been reflected on
disk.

In order to protect your data from accidental deletions you need to
perform regular backups.

--
dt