db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: creating an index on a column that has a UNIQUE constraint just fails silently?
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:18:27 GMT
Stacey Brown <stacey_brownii@yahoo.com> writes:

> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/
>
> In the section "CREATE INDEX statement" it says,
>
>     "If a column or set of columns has a UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY
>     constraint on it, you can not create an index on those columns."
>

> I'm using derby 10.3.1.4 embedded in my application. When the
> application starts it drops indices and then recreates them. One of
> those indices was on a column that had a UNIQUE constraint, but the
> CREATE INDEX statement for that column completes. When I list all
> the indices though, I only find the index that backs the UNIQUE
> constraint. Although executing my CREATE INDEX statement didn't
> throw an exception, it didn't create the index.
>
> I'm not trying to argue anything here and I'm not claiming
> expertise, but when I read "you can not create an index on those
> columns" I thought that I would get an exception if I attempted to
> create an index on a column that has a UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY
> constraint.

I tend to agree, but I'm not an expert. Unless someone tells you
otherwise in the next couple of days, I think you should file a jira
about this. See

http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

If you could include a minimal test program that exhibits the problem
it will be much appreciated.

> My question is whether the behavior is intentional or not. Should I
> have gotten an exception when I executed a CREATE INDEX statement on
> a column that already had a UNIQUE constraint on it?

Seems unreasonable to silently ignore the user's request. At least you
should get a warning IMHO.

--
dt