db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Paulo Jesus" <paulsch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: crate and drop databases.
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:38:41 GMT
2007/10/26, Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradbury@gmail.com>:
> Paulo Jesus wrote:
> > I have two questions on create an drop databases.
> > Do I have a command to drop a database?  Or do I need to "gently"
> > remove the directory of the database? I didn't find references to
> > this.
> >
> > There is other way to create a database  than the
> > '.../newDatabase;create=true' at the connection string.?
> >
> > Thanks
> > PJ
> >

> Hi Paulo -
> You are correct on both counts.  ;create=true will cause an empty (no
> user tables) database to be created if it does not already exist.
> Removing the directory structure deletes the database and returns the
> disk space to the filesystem.
>
> If you are familiar with databases where you connect to the engine and
> have multiple database to access you should consider using SCHEMAS.  You
> can create and drop schemas using standard SQL commands.

Ok.
If the scripts to start and stop the NetworkServer are called from the
host machine than the administrator has also access to database files.
But if i can remotely  configure a new database (at connection string)
then, i think, it should be also possible to drop it..  with the
required validations first.

Thanks
PJ