db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:17:31 GMT
On 10/15/07, Chris <cwhankey@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am getting a
>
> "java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
> (java.io.FilePermission derby.log read)"
>

> error when trying to start the Derby Network server from Eclipse.  Can
> anyone help?  I saw an article about installing a looser security policy,
> but it's not clear how to do this when use the plug-in.
>

> Thanks
>

> Chris Hankey

Hi Chris,

It's interesting you're getting this error - is this in a new eclipse
installation? After upgrade to the next version of derby? Or a new
install of the derby plugin into an existing eclipse setup?
Some more info would be appreciated.

I'm interested because I think I saw this in an existing eclipse
environment, but it appears no one else saw this.
Of course, one could argue that the derby.log can be removed as a
work-around, but in my environment I couldn't find a derby.log.
Do you see a derby.log? Can you remove it?

Now, for installing a looser security mechanism - the normal way is to
specify -Dsecurity.policy=... but that's not possible with the plugin,
which starts the server for you... At least, I've not heard anyone say
how this can be done.

I logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2913
for an improvement in this area. No one's picked this up. If you find
it important, you could vote for it. Or consider doing this yourself.
:-)

As a work-around, I only have the extremely crude & ugly suggestion of
replacing  the file server.policy in derbynet.jar (jar -uvf
derbynet.jar server.policy) in the derby.core plugin with a modified
one...

Myrna