db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Leader <d.lea...@bio.gla.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Derby v SQLite
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:41:22 GMT
I found the replies to my query interesting. I guess I need to ask my
son why he favours SQLite. I much prefer to stick with a Java-based
solution as writing academic software on the Mac it has to be cross-
platform, and I was unaware - and found it heartening - that Sun's
JavaDB was an implementation of Derby. (OK, for server stuff it
doesn't matter. Hell, I have Perl scripts called by my Servlet-based
web app.) I guess that the one reason that Google preferred SQL is
that it could not rely on Java being installed on user's machines. In
a way Microsoft made the decision for them.

David

PS If anyone is interested in my final executable app with the
embedded Derby db, they can download it from <http://motif.gla.ac.uk/
dihedralizer.html>. Even if you don't understand it, you can get some
pretty pictures :-)