db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Leader <d.lea...@bio.gla.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Including a derby db within the same jar as the application
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:46:31 GMT
A PostScript to a PostScript, I wrote:

> A postscript to the solution to the problem:
>
> jdbc:derby:jar:(MyApp.jar)MyDB
>
> When I used exe4j to create a Windows .exe from MyApp.jar it worked
> fine without specifying any derby properties.

But that was only because by chance I had the jar file in the same
directory. ie the behaviour was just the same as the Mac application
bundle. When I copied it to a virgin machine next day it couldn't
find the db. Ouch!

So I had to tell exe4j where derby.system.home was as a VM parameter.
Fortunately the exe4j help gave the magic address - %EXE4J_TEMPDIR%
in this case, but obviously it depends on whatever exe maker you are
using.

Well that, I hope, is that - until my next Derby project. I'm happy
with the way that Derby has behaved, but I'd like to ask a
provocative question nevertheless, for which I'll start a new thread.

David