db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Francois Orsini" <francois.ors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby v SQLite
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:01:33 GMT
David,

Gears is a client side framework for web applications. If you have a Java
application (be it client standalone, web or server) and you want to embed a
database system and be able to port it across platforms, Derby makes a lot
of sense (being 100% Java); It has a strong and active development community
and it is integrated in lots of other products (
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby). One can also purchase support
outside of the community with Java DB (http://developers.sun.com/javadb),
which is Sun's supported version of Apache Derby and which comes bundled in
Sun JDK 6 as well as GlassFish Java application server.

Last, Derby has been developed with multi-user support and has been around
for around 10 years, in various incarnations. If multi-user support is
another important point for your application, Derby has a multi-threaded
core engine with row-level locking and support for standard isolation
levels, as well as online back-up / restore capabilities, data/network
encryption and you can enable an embedded instance of Derby to be remotely
accessible, if required.

Hope this helps,

--francois