db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: crate and drop databases.
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:52:49 GMT
Paulo Jesus wrote:
> I have two questions on create an drop databases.
> Do I have a command to drop a database?  Or do I need to "gently"
> remove the directory of the database? I didn't find references to
> this.
>
> There is other way to create a database  than the
> '.../newDatabase;create=true' at the connection string.?
>
> Thanks
> PJ

Hi Paulo -
You are correct on both counts.  ;create=true will cause an empty (no
user tables) database to be created if it does not already exist.
Removing the directory structure deletes the database and returns the
disk space to the filesystem.

If you are familiar with databases where you connect to the engine and
have multiple database to access you should consider using SCHEMAS.  You
can create and drop schemas using standard SQL commands.