db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Can the derby.log file be suppressed?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:41:47 GMT
David Leader wrote:
> Well the answer is that it *does* work. And I suppose the real question
> was why I hadn't tried it, but nobody really wants to know the answer to
> that.
>
> Thanks John. Problem solved. I do appreciate the way professionals
> suffer amateurs like me on these lists.

Don't worry about it, any question about how to use Derby (and more) is welcome
on this list! I was not certain about the answer myself, and for some reason I
guess I was thinking you may already have tried it.

> Now, does anyone know how to include a derby database in a Windows .exe
> file?

If your database is read-only, I guess you could put your database in a jar
(your application jar file) and the wrap the jar in an exe file.

You can read about putting the DB in a jar in the Derby Developer's Guide,
within the section "Creating Derby databases for read-only use".

There may also be some "java-to-exe" tools that can do that sort of thing for
you, I don't know. You said you were using exe4j, but if you want to look around
  for more such tools this article may be helpful:
http://www.javalobby.org/articles/java2exe/

--
John