db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Returning NULL from a database-side Java function
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:52:33 GMT
I have a Java database-side function that does a simple lookup of a
string on a reference table and returns the corresponding integer.  If
the string can't be found I want to return NULL, but if I return a Java
null I get a database exception rather than the desired behaviour:

Error: java.sql.SQLException: The exception
'java.lang.NullPointerException' was thrown while evaluating an
expression., SQL State: 38000, Error Code: -1

How do I return a 'database' NULL from a database-side Java function?

Thanks,

--
Alan Burlison