db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Inserting data into a database on a Derby network server
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:25:44 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> John Embretsen wrote:
>> Hi Ture,
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> I didn't think it was this easy to fill up the heap (by not explicitly
>> closing Statement objects) anymore (see e.g. DERBY-210), but there are
>> obviously some vulnerabilities left. So thank you for sharing your
>> code and for reporting this!
>
> Hi John,
>
> I think the reason why the OOME happened so fast in this application was
> because of the sorting (ORDER BY). I don't know enough about how sorting
> is implemented in Derby to have an opinion, but I think we should have a
> look at it.
>
> I will do a little pre-investigation and create a Jira if appropriate.

OK, thanks! From quickly reading the thread I was under the impression that
adding a call to Statement.close() solved the problem, but I guess that was only
part of it.

One of the DOTS tests I've been running also stumbled across a memory leak
related to sorting, see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2176 .
Interesting coincidence. That was fixed with 10.2.2.0, though, so this must be
something else.

--
John