db-derby-user mailing list archives

From sudhakar <sudha...@co.brazos.tx.us>
Subject exponential increase in insert time
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:40:18 GMT
I'm using embedded derby in a Java SE application with OpenJPA. The
applications parses a text file and creates JPA entity objects which it
then turns around and persists in the embedded derby database using JPA.

It starts of with inserting about 15 records per second and
exponentially drops down to about one record every 25 seconds by the
400th record. I haven't tuned any of the derby parameters. Before I
started getting into that I wanted to run this by here to find out if
this is the out-of-box expected performance. It doesn't look right. The
insert time per record increases exponentially.

Can someone confirm that if something is awfully wrong here and how I
can go about troubleshooting this. The text file is about 90000 records.
So this exponential performance decrease would be completely
unacceptable to the end-user.

Thanks
-sud