db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: checking if table exists
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:32:56 GMT
Wolf Bublitz wrote:
> The database connection is working since adding and dropping tables
> workes perfectly. Concerning the schema, I am not sure. In netbeans' db
> manager I decided for App as schema although I do not know what it
> means. May some could it explain to me.

I'll try, hoping it's not more confusing than informative ;)

APP is the default schema in Derby, which is what you will be using by default
if you don't specify a user name in the connection URL, or explicitly set a
different schema.

If you specify a user name in the connection URL, your default schema is a
schema with the same name as the user name (the exception being if a tool, such
as Netbeans' db manager, lets you specify your schema at connect-time anyway).

See also http://db.apache.org/derby/faq.html#schema_exist

So, if you first create a table in your JDBC program, and then see the new table
when you connect using the db manager or ij, then you have verified that you
have connected to the correct db and schema. If this is what you have done, then
I'm out of ideas...

--
John