db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Geoff hendrey <geoff_hend...@yahoo.com>
Subject Invalid transaction state - held cursor requires same isolation
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:49:52 GMT
"Well, it is even harder for us, since we don't see the relevant part
of your code..."

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. You don't need to see my code to answer my question.

My question was:

"ANyone have any ideas what this message might mean?"

The message I am referring to is:
"Invalid transaction state - held cursor requires same isolation"

Why would you need my code to provide a simple elaboration on the meaning of
a rather cryptic message?

> Here are 3 lines from my code:
>
> Connection c = ConnectionManager.getConnection(req);
> c.setAutoCommit(false);
> c.setTransactionIsolation(Connection.TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED);
>

> The *second* time this block executes, I get this exception from the attempt to setTransactionIsolation:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: Invalid transaction state - held cursor requires same isolation
level
>         at org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.setTransactionIsolation(Unknown Source)
>

> ANyone have any ideas what this message might mean? My guess is that a result set is
open and a cursor in that result set is somehow not getting closed after the first pass. But
I'm hard pressed to see where in my code this could be happening since I close all my connections
in finally blocks.

--
dt