db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Derby v SQLite
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:28:22 GMT
There are a couple of issues raised by your post/email...

First the architecture decision on whether to use a java db or to use a c
language based db.  You don't really talk about your application and any
design constraints. In some respects, the database could be separate from
your app. (A centralized DB server for example.)

The second issue is Derby vs whatever....

What you're concerned with is finding a tool that has gained enough critical
mass to be viable long term. I asked a question on linkedIn regarded what
criteria is there in determining if a software language/architecture has
obtained "critical mass". (COBOL, C/C++, Java, Python, ... all have or had
reached critical mass are viable long term)

If we looked at MySQL, it has but it hasn't. Sure its free to develop in,
but wait until your app goes in to production.... I think that MySQL has hit
a ceiling and I don't expect to see very much more growth.

If you look at Derby, it exists as Cloudscape, Derby, and JavaDB. (Although
IBM is pulling its support....)  As JavaDB, I believe that Derby is close to
achieving "critical mass".

With respect to SQLite, I don't think that it has achieved "critical mass"
nor will it. There are a lot of other products out there that just doesn't
have the mind share to survive.

Its nice that Google "supports" it, but is Google like Microsoft going to
support and promote its own development platform like .net and C#?

Does this make sense?
As an "early" adopter, you're taking a risk that your platform/technology
will be viable over the next 5+ years or is portable enough to be easily
migrated....

HTH

-G