db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: derby/jvm crashes
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:34:47 GMT
Bob Durie <bob.durie@thirdbrigade.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> We use derby as one option for database support for an enterprise server
> product.  We're using derby 10.2.1.6 with the 1.5.0_11 jre, hotspot
> server version.  Occasionally when our application is using derby (it
> also supports oracle, sql server, and never seems to crash when using
> those) we get crashes.  The jvm will dump hs_err file in the working
> directory.  I've got a bunch of these sample files output below (just
> the beginning of the output).
>

> We cannot trace down a particular action within our application that
> causes these, but low memory, VM environments seem to trigger it.
> Sometimes right at startup, sometimes after running for a while.  Our
> application has a fixed upper bounded jvm memory usage of 1 GB
> (-Xmx1024m), but the VM's never have that much dedicated ram.  However,
> we don't get OutOfMemory exceptions or anything anomalous leading up to
> these crashes, they just happen.
>

> The crashes are not always in a "CompilerThread" (crashes 1-3 below),
> sometimes they are in our code too (see crash 4 below).  And then
> sometimes they're not even in derby code (crash 5 and 6 below).
>

> Below are a few sample crashes.  Does anyone have *any* suggests on what
> I can try to do here?  I don't know where to begin!!!

This sounds more like a JVM bug than a Derby bug, so I would start by
trying out a newer version of the JVM to see if the bug has been fixed
there.

That said, Derby is an embedded database, so the JVM process in which
the enterprise server is running probably needs more memory than with
databases that run in a separate server process. I don't know what
happens if the JVM tries to allocate more memory than physically
available, but it's worth a try to reduce the maximum heap size (the
-Xmx flag).

--
Knut Anders