db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY not working?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:32:14 GMT
OK, sounds good, I guess you could do that.  But I do believe that it
would be Very Nice if Derby provided this feature for your - for
instance, when you do 'java -jar derbyrun.jar server sysinfo' it would
print out, among all the other things, the value of derby.system.home.
 Right now it doesn't, even if you explicitly set it when you start
the server.

Better yet, it should say "default database directory" and print out
wherever that is, whether it is derby.system.home or user.dir.

I'll log a feature request.

David

On 9/13/07, Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@sun.com> wrote:
> David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com> writes:
>
> > On 9/12/07, Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@sun.com> wrote:
> >> David Van Couvering wrote:
> >>  > OK, fair enough.  So, how *do* I find out what derby.system.home is
> >> set to??
> >>  >

> >> I would think it is the same way as with any Java System property
> >> (Kathey implicity told you that):
> >>
> >>      System.getProperty("derby.system.home");
> >
> > Yes, I know that.  But if I'm running the network server, how am I
> > supposed to find out what the network server thinks is
> > derby.system.home?  Especially if I'm interacting with Derby from a
> > tool like NetBeans.  It could very well be that the developer is using
> > JRuby or even PHP with ODBC, and is not even a Java programmer.
>
> If your network server has the necessary permissions to read
> derby.system.home and user.dir (in case derby.system.home is null), you
> could do something like this:
>
> ij version 10.3
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost/mydb;create=true';
> ij> create function getSystemProperty(name varchar(128)) returns varchar(128) language
java external name 'java.lang.System.getProperty' parameter style java no sql;