db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: SYSCS_GET_DATABASE_PROPERTY not working?
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:22:13 GMT
On 9/12/07, Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@sun.com> wrote:
> David Van Couvering wrote:
>  > OK, fair enough.  So, how *do* I find out what derby.system.home is
> set to??
>  >

> I would think it is the same way as with any Java System property
> (Kathey implicity told you that):
>
>      System.getProperty("derby.system.home");

Yes, I know that.  But if I'm running the network server, how am I
supposed to find out what the network server thinks is
derby.system.home?  Especially if I'm interacting with Derby from a
tool like NetBeans.  It could very well be that the developer is using
JRuby or even PHP with ODBC, and is not even a Java programmer.

> I have not tried it, but it is possible that if this property is not
> explicitly set, this will also return null since Derby default values
> are not normally registered as properties.  (There was a discussion
> about this a couple of months ago.)

In the test I ran, I explicitly set derby.system.home, and still got NULL back.

To be honest, this seems like a real issue.  If a user can't query the
Network Server to find out where it is storing database directories,
it could be a long and painful search to find this directory,
especially when using tools like NB or Glassfish (and I think Eclipse)
that starts the Network Server for you, or if you have it registered
as a service on your machine.

David