db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:26:00 GMT
Hi,

Let me try to answer two of the three questions, even though I have no
experience with the Derby Eclipse plugin...

danga wrote:
> 1) Since I also have the javaDB installed (Java 1.6) why should I use the
> plug-in ?
> I notice that the same jar files are available ?

Well, I would assume that the plugin provides some convenient/extra features in
your IDE for interaction with Derby. Also, although the jar file names are the
same, they may contain different versions of Derby (see
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VersionInfo ). I'm not sure about this, but
maybe you can configure the Eclipse plugin to use different jars if you'd like
to? Eclipse users may have a better answer...

> 2) Is it not better to download Apache Derby and install it, instead of the
> javaDB

That depends on your needs. Just using the Java DB bundled with the JDK can be
quite convenient. Then again, the JDK may bundle an older version of Java DB
than the newest one that is available for standalone download, so if you want
the "latest and greatest" version, you might want to download Derby or Java DB
separately anyway (yes, Java DB is also available as a separate download, at
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/ ).

The difference between Java DB and Derby is essentially that with Java DB you
get a support offering from Sun (see http://developers.sun.com/javadb/support/
), and you might get add-ons that are not available for Derby, for example
proper installers for your operating system. This might or might not be of
interest to you, so it's entirely up to you what to do :)

Hope this helps,

--
John