db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Nielsen <Thomas.Niel...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What is use of Derby on CDC devices?
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:19:56 GMT
Hi Legolas,

> Can some one explain what is use of derby on CDC devices, does it means
> that Derby database files are portable from PC to CDC device?

To my knowledge the on-disk storage format should be portable from any
PC/server to any CDC device.

Seasoned Derby developers please pitch in if my understanding is wrong :)

> Can we write an application that uses derby and run inside a CDC device?

Yes, you can write java apps that use derby to run on the CDC device.
You are, however, limited to the JSR169 version of the derby
embeddeddriver on the CDC device. That means both the app and derby runs
inside the JVM on the CDC device.

You should probably start having a look at something like this page from
the reference guide for 10.3:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefjdbcjsr169.html

Hope this gets you started :)

Thomas