db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Eric Fesh <f...@verarisoft.com>
Subject Re: Derby and replication
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:23:44 GMT
David:

I've been looking into replication technologies for improvements on a project that I'm working
on... The difference between
replication and synchronization is something I hadn't realized before. Would synchronization
be more appropriate for a
peer-to-peer architecture than replication would be?

David Van Couvering wrote:
> I think the responses you have heard so far talk about replication to
> provide availability (HA-JDBC, the ongoing Derby effort).
>
> What you are talking about is basically using Derby as a reliable
> front-end cache to a back-end database where the connection can be
> unavailable from time to time.
>
> What this is about is really synchronization, not replication.
> Synchronization is keeping two sometimes disconnected databases in
> synch.
>
> One product out there that works with Derby is Daffodil Replicator,
> see http://sourceforge.net/projects/daffodilreplica/.  It's an open
> source project using the GPL license.
>
> David
>
> On 9/18/07, ad marginem <admarginem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to develop a program, using derby as a back-end.
>>
>> There will be a POS and a Warehouse module. They will use the same database
>> scheme, but they cannot use the same database because of reliability (in
>> case of broken connection the POS must not stop).
>>
>> So my question is: how to develop such a reliable workflow? Replication? Or
>> maybe there are some other options? If replication - how to implement it?
>> Are there any existing methods to replicate derby database?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> --
>> по краям

Eric Fesh
Software Engineer
Verari Systems Software, Inc.
110 12th Street North, Suite D103
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone +1-205-397-3141 ext. 3151
Fax +1-205-397-3142
fesh@verarisoft.com
http://www.verarisoft.com/

The information contained in this communication may be confidential and is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If the reader of
this communication is not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not a named
recipient or received this communication by mistake, please notify the sender
and delete the communication and all copies of it.