db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Why need JDBC driver?
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:40:35 GMT
jiangshachina wrote:
> Hello,
> The question may be so stupid, but I really have some puzzles.
> Generally, JDBC is the connector between Java application and RDBMSs.
> But I think that's because the RDBMSs aren't written by Java, then we need
> the middleware.
> Now that, Derby is pure Java application, why we still need JDBC driver?
> I think Java application certainly can tie with Derby directly.

And if you use embedded Derby it actually does.  In that case, the JDBC
calls tie directly into the Derby database engine.  The JDBC API is used
because it is a standard API for accessing a database from Java.

In the client/server environment you will still need a JDBC driver which
handles the communication over the network.

--
Øystein