db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Compressing derby databases
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:34:12 GMT
Hi Kevin,

Derby does support databases stored in jar files. This is described in
the Derby Developer's Guide
(http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/) in a subsection called
"Accessing databases from a jar or zip file". Just follow these headings
to get to that subsection:

JDBC applications and Derby basics
  Derby embedded basics
    Connecting to databases
      Special database access
        Accessing databases from a jar or zip file

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Kevin M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe I have just missed this in the archives...
>
> I am creating a Java desktop app that will only perform read-only accesses (selects only)
on some derby databases.  I would like to compress the databases using either jar or pack200.
 But, does derby support databases stored this way?  If so, can someone please point me to
a page that explains how to do this?