db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ken Frank <Ken.Fr...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby and character set encodings
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:16:46 GMT
Thanks David for sending this.

Let me note a few questions:

1.  when one creates a new database,
is the database created with a certain encoding that will be used ?

And if so, is that encoding that of the locale I am in when I run
the create database commands or is it utf-8 always ?
(for example, for one of the Japanese locales of Solaris, the encoding of it
is euc-jp)

or could it be that of the encoding of the locale the actual dbase server
is started in ?  (which might be java's view of the users locale/encoding
which would be I think the same as the OS locale user is in)

I saw this from derby docs:
"To support users in many different languages, Derby's SQL parser
understands all Unicode characters and allows any Unicode character or
number to be used in an identifier."

but I don't know if it means that there is no concept of an encoding
for a database itself or not.

I think with Oracle for example, there is an argument to create database
that lets one specify the encoding of it.

2.  The locale the user is in when starting derby server -
what things are affected by that - ie encoding of dbase, messages to
user (if translated), time, date, etc ?
(vs user needing to set separate variables or properties)

3.  I think its allowed for identifiers like database names,
table and column names, to have non ascii in them, if proper
quoting is used when referring to them  ?

Thanks - Ken