db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Néstor Boscán <nestor.bos...@tcs.com.ve>
Subject RE: How to restrict external connections
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:44:21 GMT
Hi Kristian

Thanks for the answer.

So this means that if I open the database using the EmbeddedDriver driver no
one can access the database from an outside connection?. Includiing tools
like ij?

Regards,

Néstor Boscán

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM [mailto:Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM]
Enviado el: Monday, September 10, 2007 4:27 AM
Para: Derby Discussion
Asunto: Re: How to restrict external connections

Néstor Boscán wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to restrict external connection to a Derby Database?. I
> only want the JVM to be able to connect to the Derby database and no
> other external processes.

Hello,

Unless I have misunderstood, sounds like you simply want to use Derby
embedded. This is done by using org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver and
specifying the connection URL as 'jdbc:derby:myDatabase[;create=true;...]'.
By default, no network server will be started and only the JVM is able to
access the database.

Note that 'myDatabase' can point to a database by using either a relative
path (relative to derby.system.home, or current working directory if it is
unset) or an absolute path.

Did that answer you question, or do you have any further requirements?

regards,
--
Kristian