db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Néstor Boscán <nestor.bos...@tcsapp.com.ve>
Subject RE: Using Derby with Java Web Start
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:48:43 GMT
Hi Alan

Thanks alot for the info. Now based on this info you sent me, you think is
possible to code the application so it will upgrade the database without
human intervention?. Has anybody tried this approach?

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Alan Burlison [mailto:Alan.Burlison@sun.com]
Enviado el: Sábado, 01 de Septiembre de 2007 06:02 a.m.
Para: Derby Discussion
Asunto: Re: Using Derby with Java Web Start

Néstor Boscán wrote:

> I need to create a standalone Swing application with an embedded
> database that can be downloaded to 500 workstation using Java Web
> Start. I have the following questions:
>
> 1.- Can I use Derby downloading it using Java Web Start?

Yes, just include the derby JAR file in your JNLP file:

   <resources>
     <j2se version="1.5+" java-vm-args="-Xms8m -Xmx32m"
      href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
     <jar href="<MyApp.jar"/>
     <jar href="derby.jar"/>
   </resources>

> 2.- What happens when I download a new version of Deby? Will it
> upgrade my database files automatically without ANY user intervention?

You might find the following links helpful:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevupgrades.html
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/MetadataUpgrade
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/versionupgrade.html
http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-upgrade-derbyjava-db-da