db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Wanted: Example using SQLXML
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:25:53 GMT
sieg <siegfried@heintze.com> writes:

> See below. Incidentally, in a another posting, someone explained to me that
> downloading and installing derby was redundant with installing Java 1.6.

Not quite. Derby aka JavaDB is _bundled_ with the JDK (not the
JRE). And you still need to include the Derby jars in your classpath,
it will not happen automatically. Older versions of Java 6 have the
derby jars in db/lib:

$ \ls /usr/local/java/jdk1.6.0_00/db/lib/
derby.jar              derbyLocale_fr.jar     derbyLocale_zh_CN.jar
derby.war              derbyLocale_it.jar     derbyLocale_zh_TW.jar
derbyclient.jar        derbyLocale_ja_JP.jar  derbynet.jar
derbyLocale_de_DE.jar  derbyLocale_ko_KR.jar  derbyrun.jar
derbyLocale_es.jar     derbyLocale_pt_BR.jar  derbytools.jar

Unfortunately, due to a glitch, the derby jars are missing from Java 6
update 2 :( This will be fixed in the next update, but until then you
need to download derby from apache...

--
dt