db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Upgrading from 10.2 beta to 10.3.1.4 official relaease
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:55:26 GMT
Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:

> Jitesh Mehta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Database created using the 10.2.1000000.430903 release of Derby.
>>  I would like to fully upgrade this database to the latest derby
>> official
>> release 10.3.1.4.
>>
>> When i boot the database with upgrade=true following exception is thrown:
>>
>> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Database at
>> F:\freshCheckOut\butterfly\installer\samples\picApp\tests\picApp_test_db is
>> at version 10.2 beta. Beta databases cannot be upgraded,
>> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
>> Source)
>> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
>> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.bootDatabase(Unknown
>> Source)... 34 more
>>
>> Is there anyway this upgrade from this beta release ?
>
> Hello,
>
> Please take a backup of you database before you try to upgrade!
> (and maybe read the release notes in case something affects your
> application)
>
> You have to specify derby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true to be
> able to upgrade from beta releases.

I think this only allows you to upgrade *to* an alpha or beta, not
*from* a beta. Perhaps you could do an export of the tables in your 10.2
beta database, and import them into a new 10.3 database?

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefexportproc.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefimportproc.html

--
Knut Anders