db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.3.1.4 released
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:04:52 GMT
Rahul Dwivedi wrote:
> Are there any plans for implementing such a feature where lob locators
> are stored in tables and LOB are stored some where else, or such similar
> functionality to enhance performance with multiple lobs in single table.

I do not think that anyone has so far indicated that they have any plans
for this. However, I would very much like to understand better what you
are requesting.

If I understand you correctly, your main objective is that if LOBs are
stored outside the table, a table scan will be much quicker.  Is that
what you are thinking of?

Others have asked for locators in order to save space if two columns are
referring the same LOB.  That raises the question of what should happen
if a LOB is updated (e.g., through JDBC by Blob.setBytes).  Should that
update be reflected by all columns referring the Blob, or just the
column being updated.

--
Øystein