db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: NPE when connecting to database with securityMechanism=8
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:36:42 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>> I assume I could also use System.setProperty() before using
>> NetworkServerControl.start() the derby network server.
>
> Yes, that should also do the trick.

It does, thanks :-)

>> The NPE still looks like a derby bug though, irrespective of my mistake ;-)
>
> I agree, that shouldn't have happened. It would be great if you could
> file a bug report at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY.

Done, DERBY-3025

> The network server actually uses the embedded driver to perform database
> operations, so any application running in the same JVM as the server
> could have access to the database directly through the embedded
> driver. In your setup, I think it would make sense to use Derby this
> way. The servlets could access the database without doing any network
> I/O, and thereby improving the performance, whereas the external scripts
> could use the network client driver and don't involve Tomcat. Derby's
> manuals call this configuration an "Embedded Server" (see
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/cadminov17524.html).

I knew it worked, but I didn't know if it was correct to use the
embedded driver in that situation.  After following the link you sent I
found the following in:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/radminembeddedserverex.html

"The program that starts the Network Server can access the database by
using either the embedded driver or the Network Client driver."

Thanks!

--
Alan Burlison