db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Alan Burlison <Alan.Burli...@sun.com>
Subject Re: NPE when connecting to database with securityMechanism=8
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:49:57 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> I don't think you can set derby.drda.securityMechanism for a single
> database. You would have to set it for the entire server process, either
> by starting the Java process with -Dderby.drda.securityMechanism=XXX, or
> by putting derby.drda.securityMechanism=XXX into derby.properties.

Ah right, that certainly would explain the problems I've been having.  I
assume I could also use System.setProperty() before using
NetworkServerControl.start() the derby network server.  I'm using Derby
inside a tomcat instance, but I want it to run in network server mode
rather than embedded mode so I can use external scripts for doing things
such as database backups, rather than having to do everything inside tomcat.

The NPE still looks like a derby bug though, irrespective of my mistake ;-)

I'm also a little confused on how to access a database once the network
server is is running, from inside the same JVM that contains the network
server.  By mistake I forgot to change the URL from the one used by the
embedded driver:

db = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:mydb", props);

to the one needed by the network driver

db = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby://localhost/mydb", props);

but the database still seemed to open OK, which is rather odd...

--
Alan Burlison