db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Trouble using JavaDB in Glassfish V2
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:41:19 GMT
John Baker wrote:

> I'm having a really difficult time using Java DB in Glassfish .
>
> I'm trying to the ij command from the commandline.
>
> There are 2 installations of ij.bat under frameworks
>
> There is no installation of ij in javadb/bin
> (there is no bin folder)
>
> If the ij.bat script is used (under frameworks) then I get the error below
>
> $ ij
>
> The frameworks scripts have been deprecated. Please use the new scripts in
>
> the /bin directory. See the file frameworks.DEPRECATED.txt for more
>
> information.

> org/apache/derby/tools/ij
>

> So, there should be a bin folder for the Glassfish V2 installation ?

Hello John,

I don't use Windows much, but I had a look at Glassfish V2 (build 58b)
on Solaris.
By setting DERBY_HOME (or DERBY_INSTALL) I was able to use the scripts
under the frameworks directory, but the deprecation warning still appeared.

Did you specify either one of the environment variables mentioned above?
Regarding the classpath, could there be a bug in the Windows scripts?
Is it already logged in Jira? (I seem to remember some problems with the
.bat scripts)

Since the version is 10.2 you can't use derbyrun.jar (java -jar
derbyrun.jar ij). If you want to start ij manually, you can do this;

java -classpath derbytools.jar:derby.jar:derbyclient.jar
org.apache.derby.tools.ij

Depending on whether you are going to use the embedded or the client
driver, derby.jar or derbyclient.jar can be excluded from the classpath.
If you run one of the 'set*CP.bat' scripts, you should be able to omit
the classpath argument.

In my installation Derby / Java DB is included under 'glassfish/javadb',
and the jars are placed under the subdirectory 'lib'.
There is no bin directory, and I don't know the reason for that.
Anyone else?

regards,
--
Kristian