db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Nielsen <Thomas.Niel...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Accessing embedded database in JAR file
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:25:31 GMT
David Leader wrote:
>> Does it take that long to start if you use ij as well? Does it make a
>> difference wether you run embedded or not?
>
> Using ij it certainly doesn't take as long, but there is a perceptable
> lag before the database connection is made, and the first time a query
> is made it is perceptably slower than the second time - perhaps just a
> second compared with apparently instantaneous. I haven't done anything
> in a non-embedded setup, but I guess you are right and it's something
> one just has to live with.

If using ij is a lot faster, then there might be something in your app
that is causing it to take that long?

Might be worth the effort profiling it using Netbeans, Eclipse, jFluid
or similar?

> Despite a few problems in porting the stuff
> from MySQL, I must say that overall I'm very pleased with the result. My
> thanks to the Derby team.

Thanks for letting the community know :)

If you don't mind - what were your top three pains when moving from
MySQL to Derby?

Cheers,
Thomas
--