db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Nielsen <Thomas.Niel...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Accessing embedded database in JAR file
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 05:27:54 GMT
David Leader wrote:
> While I mention this, could I perhaps raise the remaining speed problem.
> I made a Derby database with one table, two fields and two tuples (can't
> get much smaller) and am running it unzipped from a java app that has
> the simplest gui with a menu with the two fields as menu items and a
> text area for results. After the GUI has opened the first query takes
> perhaps five or ten seconds, whereas the subsequent ones are
> 'instantaneous'. Anyone know why?

David,

My initial guess is those few seconds on the first query are your
initialization cost - that is, starting the derby engine (if embedded),
the first statement through.

On a small db, five secs sounds like a lot - but still very possible.

Does it take that long to start if you use ij as well? Does it make a
difference wether you run embedded or not?

Cheers,
Thomas
--
Thomas Nielsen