db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: DDL in Trigger Procedure
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:15:57 GMT

In general its not really a good idea.

Use case(s)?

I can think of one... if you had to have rolling partitions and you want to
automate the process.

Or if your database offers a system db, (Like IDS11 aka Cheetah) you may
want  to have a process that monitors the system and automate the fine
tuning or maintenance.

But this could be done by having the trigger call a procedure that calls an
outside process... (in theory at least if your DB supports it.

I would have to say, being paranoid, you'd have to make sure that the person
who is triggering the trigger has the permissions to execute the DDL. So it
gets a bit tricky and I'm not sure its worth the effort.