db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: DDL in Trigger Procedure
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:14:18 GMT

Just a comment.

Just because another database can do something doesn't mean that it's
necessarily a good idea.

The other issue with Derby is that until someone determines a way to create
a "plug n play" architecture of features, it becomes more important to
decide if Derby is going to be a "full fledged" database, or a lightweight
embedded database.

As you increase the size of the footprint, you make it harder to embed. And
as you add features, you are increasing the size of the footprint.

  _____

From: Francois Orsini [mailto:francois.orsini@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 5:26 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: DDL in Trigger Procedure

Javier,

DDL statements are not allowed in triggers, directly or via a procedure
called from a trigger. I checked the codeline.

--francois

On 8/19/07, Javier Fonseca V. <fonsecajavier@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello.  I'm trying to do a trigger that fires after an INSERT INTO a table.

This trigger will call a Java procedure that performs some operations in the
Database ... and then decide to CREATE TABLE according to a sequence for
later local replication purposes.

But I can't make it work.  It's failing in the CREATE TABLE step.  It looks
like DDL is not supported in Derby Triggers, even if they are in a stored
procedure.  If I call the procedure manually with some test values, it
works.  But I need it to work it triggered in Derby.  I already did it in
PostgreSQL (master DB) and I don't know why Derby doesn't allow me to do the
same.

Thanks for your replies,

Javier Fonseca

Barranquilla, Colombia