db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Lindsay Holman" <lindsay.hol...@friendsprovident.co.uk>
Subject RE: Problem with Webstart deployment
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:21:53 GMT

which are unsuccessful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thornton [mailto:mthornton@optrak.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:35 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Problem with Webstart deployment

Lindsay Holman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I hope I have sent this to the appropriate place.
>
> I am developing a webstart application which incorporates an
embedded
> Derby DB.
>
> I am having a problem however trying to lookup resources,
> specifically, the getInputStream() method on CPFile.
>
> Running the app against the same DB (deployed as a jar) outside of
> webstart works fine.
>
> To add to the confusion, the particular .dat file being loaded does
> load successfully sometimes, but not at other times.
>
> Debugging, I can see CPFile get's the JNLP class loader, and calls
> getResourceAsStream, passing the path to the required data file (in
my
> case QDB/seg0/c49b1.dat).  This simply returns null, resulting in
the
> method eventually raising a FileNotFoundException, which appears in
> the Derby log.  Interestingly, it is always at the same spot that
this
> method fails.  The same class loader is definitely being referenced
by
> the successful and unsuccessful attempts at loading this resource.
>
> Has anyone come across anything like this?  I know it sounds like a
> JNLPClassLoader issue, but I thought someone here may have seen
> something similar.
>
> Regards
>
> Lindsay Holman

How many jar files do you have and if more than one is the jar file
containing the database explicitly specified in the JNLP file?
WebStart
takes no notice of ClassPath attributes in jar file manifests.

Mark Thornton

This e-mail may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. This e-mail is
intended for the use of the addressee only. Any unauthorised use may be unlawful.

If you receive this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply
facility in your e-mail software.

The Friends Provident group of companies includes these Friends Provident plc subsidiary companies:

Friends Provident Life and Pensions Limited. Registered number 4096141.
Friends Provident Life Assurance Limited. Registered number 782698.
Friends Provident Pensions Limited. Registered number 475201.
Friends Provident Marketing Limited. Registered number 5059179.

Each of the above subsidiary companies is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority.

Friends Provident Management Services Limited. Registered number 983330

The ultimate holding company is Friends Provident plc. Registered number 4113107.

All are incorporated companies limited by shares and registered in England.
Registered and Head Office: Pixham End, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1QA.

www.friendsprovident.com