db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject RE: Derby database design issues
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:58:54 GMT
Hi Thomas,

> > [JCT] I guess then that if the procedure is being used heavily and
> multiple
> > times there might be a real performance gain from using procedures
> over
> > straight SQL.
> >
> Most likely. There is really no need to use stored procedures, unless
> administrative ease is a necessity. You will get the same advantage
> (for
> sure) if you use straight SQL in a PreparedStatement that you keep a
> handle to in your jdbc client.
> The purpose of PreparedStatements are just that - they are precompiled
> (or prepared if you like) - and ready to use to harvest the performance
> gain.

[JCT] Hmm, I have thought about this a bit more and I have come to the
conclusion that there are NO advantages (at least for me) in using
Java-based procedures and there are in fact reasons not to use them.  I feel
this way because, as you say, you can get the same perceived benefits from
simply using a PreparedStatement but the main reason is the maintenance
nightmare that they introduce.  I have just cut 7 procedures and every time
I move the class they are defined in or rename something or change a
parameter I have to recreate the stub that exists in the database.  It is
incredibly easy for them to get out of synch.  I am going to switch to just
calling Java methods that don't have any representational baggage in the DB.

Cheers,

John