db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Jacques Coetzee" <jacques.coet...@traderoot.com>
Subject Procedure return value
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:32:11 GMT
First off, this is not really a bug, it's more of a restriction.

As per the needs of my inhouse framework I need a procedure to be able
to return a value other than
a ResultSet (I need a integer). The reason I need to use a procedure; is
because I'm using INOUT parameters.

When call my procedure, it needs to look like this:

{ ? = call myProcedure(?,?,?,?,?,?)}

Where the first ? represents a status-code, ie a failure = -1, and a
successfull would be 1.
All the other procedure paramters are INOUT.

If I where to use normal scripting methods in any other DB, for instance
DB2 or Oracle
then I would be able to do this. It seems that the problem has to do
with using
JAVA "Stored" Procedures.

Is it possible to either make procedures return primitive types, OR
for Functions to be able to use OUT and INOUT paramters?

I've got High Hopes for Derby, but it's issues like this that might just
sway me to use a different DB.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.